keep em coming back idea

Suggestions that have made it into the game.

keep em coming back idea

Postby Salen » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:14 pm

now i don't know if this even is doable (that's a word) but a friend that used to play said something about getting something once reset happened. at the time i told him that it resets so much that it would be a bit unbalancing, but after a long day at work thinking to myself (cause i got nothing else to do but walk in circles really fast with a lot of noise) i came up with an idea:

what if there was a way to automatically message players once reset happened and give them an in game item for playing last round. it would increase in betterness (it's early give me a break) the number of subsequent rounds play consecuitvely . if you play three rounds in a row them maybe you get a football helmet to start with....if you play 6 in a row then maybe you start with a .22 revolver (you would still need to buy the ammo so it balances out) but if you took a round off it would reset back to nothing. the second round could be a simple trenchcoat, but it helps and gives them something to come back for..it's not much but maybe it would help.

now i don't know if a automatic messaging system is even possible but all i could think of was SSW's Emperor Norton messages and deliveries...but then they would have to be different depending on the players rounds so this might just hurt your head a bit. it could always just be a random item if you've played before...but if it scales up with each round you play it might be a way to keep them playing. of course it would have to cap around 10 rounds....but still that would be interesting. i'm done babbling for the moment....carry on
[*]Everything must burn[*]
Salen
Werehippie

Re: keep em coming back idea

Postby Taylor » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:51 pm

It's not a bad idea. Maybe some small stat boosts too, so you don't have to spend a lot of time beating up nerds every round before being able to get into things.
Taylor
Site Admin

Postby Taylor » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:20 pm

Here's a thought I just had: Maybe when the game resets, you get to keep your items.

Your stats, missions, spells etc. would still be reset, but you'd have your stuff. If I were to do this, I'd probably put stat requirements on weapons and equipment so that you wouldn't be able to effortlessly breeze through the early game with a trident or rusty sword.
It might also be possible to do things kind of like Kingdom of Loathing's ascensions, where you don't have immediate access to all your items, but can get a certain number per day back or something. Or maybe you only get to keep a certain number of items total, and lose the rest.

Of course, if I were to do this, we would probably run into the problem with weapons and money being too common, and everyone would end up with millions of dollars and twenty of every weapon. There are a couple of solutions to that:
- I'd probably want to reset everything one more time and then make items and money much rarer.
- Most of the code is in for all equipment to degrade and break over time like the shields do. I didn't put it in because I thought it'd be annoying, but if all items were to become permanent it might be less of a problem.

Just kind of throwing out ideas as they come to me. Any thoughts on how good any of this would be from a player's perspective?
Taylor
Site Admin

Postby Salen » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:55 pm

Rickton wrote:Here's a thought I just had: Maybe when the game resets, you get to keep your items.
Your stats, missions, spells etc. would still be reset, but you'd have your stuff. If I were to do this, I'd probably put stat requirements on weapons and equipment so that you wouldn't be able to effortlessly breeze through the early game with a trident or rusty sword.

yes this rocks, like strength of 30 to wield something.....i love this.

Rickton wrote:It might also be possible to do things kind of like Kingdom of Loathing's ascensions, where you don't have immediate access to all your items.

oh that would be cool! you might want to restrict access to the post office with this idea then as it is really easy to equip someone for very little cash

Rickton wrote:Of course, if I were to do this, we would probably run into the problem with weapons and money being too common, and everyone would end up with millions of dollars and twenty of every weapon. There are a couple of solutions to that:
- I'd probably want to reset everything one more time and then make items and money much rarer.
- Most of the code is in for all equipment to degrade and break over time like the shields do. I didn't put it in because I thought it'd be annoying, but if all items were to become permanent it might be less of a problem.

yup love this too. the fact that your weapons would break is kinda cool. however in making the items drop less maybe there could be a stat that would affect drop rates? (unless there is one and i haven't figured it out yet) that way it would be easier to have that goal....like smoking cigs to get better drop rates in the old days:) maybe a luck stat?.....those four leaf clovers would come in handy then wouldn't they LOL!
Salen
Werehippie

Postby Carrec » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:28 pm

I'd enjoy a stat small boost at the beginning of each round. I like the ideas of requirements for equipment and degrading condition. If the drops were made more scarce it would be nice to have a way to increase drop chance.
Carrec
Werehippie

Postby Salen » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Also opens up the possibility for a future "custom Weapon" form. this form would allow you to design your own weapon and name it. the weapon would have stat requirements and the more powerful the weapon the higher the stat req. it would have to be more permenant, so prolly wouldn't degrade, but might get people into it more if they could design their own...yeah i know i went to far off topic but iz excited!
Salen
Werehippie

Postby Taylor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:16 pm

If I make them more rare, Perception will probably increase the drop chance. Plus I can put in accessories/equipment/conditions that increase drop chances as well.
Taylor
Site Admin

Postby Salen » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Rickton wrote:If I make them more rare, Perception will probably increase the drop chance. Plus I can put in accessories/equipment/conditions that increase drop chances as well.

maybe Herbs could increase perception...like between 2-10 perception xp per herb...but you get less vitality and gain full. that way if you wanted to blow all your full on perception...you would gain less vitality; like a switch off.
Salen
Werehippie

Postby julionics » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:37 pm

This could all be a very interesting idea but if the drop rates are less then it would fall on the "older" players to help provide for the new comers. I like the idea of eating/ingesting something to increase the drop rates but to be honest I have no idea what is used to figure out drop rates.
julionics
Werehippie

Return to Implemented