Infusion and alignment

Suggestions that have made it into the game.

Infusion and alignment

Postby dician » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:21 pm

Having infusion affect the alignment of creatures in the area (based on which society has infused, to a degree based on how many runes) would be a dynamic way to make the endgame interesting. Since you're basically just going around beating up the most powerful enemies you can, some significant favor fluctuations would at least make you pay attention to what zone you're in. Also, it might make it a bit more tricky for a society with a ton of infused areas to runefarm and keep their alignment where it needs to be.
dician
Pledge

Re: Infusion and alignment

Postby Salen » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:23 pm

thank you....couldn't come up with a way to say this....been trying to come up with something for days now:) that way the area is more inclined to the side that infused it:) i think
[*]Everything must burn[*]
Salen
Werehippie

Postby Taylor » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:20 pm

That makes sense for some creatures but not all. If the Inquisition infuses the college, for example, it doesn't make sense for Beelzebro pledges to all of a sudden be Inquisition-aligned. And of course, the most powerful creatures are in the sewer which can't be infused.
I suppose I could add a flag to creatures to set whether or not their alignment changes, but the second problem still stands. Of course I could do something like SSW's universal alignment where the total rune % changes the alignments of creatures across the city.
I do agree with the need to add something to make things more difficult for the dominating society, though. I'm open to more ideas.
Taylor
Site Admin

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:02 am

Another idea I had: decreasing the runes creatures drop the higher % of the city your society has.
Taylor
Site Admin

Postby Salen » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:45 am

yeah, that way the society would have to have a stratagy for take over and plan ahead...me like it
Salen
Werehippie

Postby Spang11 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:57 pm

I remember seeing this post a few weeks ago but didn't quite take in what was said in the end; I did quite like the basic idea that as a society's fusion levels go up, it should become harder for them to maintain in some way.

OTOH when I originally read this, I interpreted it as meaning you were all talking about the proportions/probabilities of different monsters appearing, rather than what alignment any monster type would have- whilst you say about the idea of Beelzebro Pledges in the university becoming suddenly aligned wth the inquisition (which would be unreasonable as you say, but so would having the alignment of most other creatures changing), the approach I had assumed, was that Inquisition-infused tiles in the university would be much more likely to spawn say, Campus Evangelists (how fun!) than Satan-Worshipping Metalheads or Biology Experiments etc, which is a very different effect. But that it would probably not be an absolute effect in any case. Having the degree of it based on the infusion strength per tile as suggested may or may not be a good thing, it's hard to say. For one thing it might give clues to other players as to how strong the infusions are. And as you mentioned, there is a question of what to do for creatures in sewers and other mazes. Perhaps they can be based on overall percentage.

The other thing about this approach is it seems thematic, much like how most of the creatures in Miskatonic are Beelzebros-aligned ones by default, and you might expect the creatures outside the Church to be mostly Inquisition-aligned. Perhaps also, creatures aligned with the infusion of their tile might be more aggressive towards the enemy societies, starting more fights, purely for theme, but I'm not sure what that'd do for gameplay.

Of course, this becomes a bit tricky in the case of Weirdfellows infusion- the thematic approach would be to give monsters with equal alignment per side (eg vampire nerds currently) on their tiles, but the game-balance approach would probably be to have monsters that are strongly aligned one way or the other, to make things difficult for them.

There's something to be said for the idea of just reducing the runes won instead like you say, but there does seem something appealling about influencing the monster balance too. Hm, perhaps you could have both even: tiles infused by Weirdfellows yield fewer runes for Weirdfellows, and tiles infused by other societies have more creatures aligned with those society? Just an idea, anyway, thought I'd put it back up for discussion as perhaps there had been some misunderstanding originally.
Spang11
Pledge

Postby Taylor » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:09 pm

I actually did change it so you get less runes the more infused the city is.
I do like the idea of society-aligned creatures popping up more often the more that society infuses, but I think that if I added that it would have to affect the whole city rather than be on an area basis. Not only would it make it more challenging for the society trying to win, but it'd also be pretty cool thematically...you can tell the Beelzebros are close to taking over the city because all of a sudden there are demons everywhere, for example. Not sure what the Weirdfellow effect would be though.

Another idea I had was if you're fighting on a tile infused to your society you get a bonus (and possibly enemy societies would have penalties, but that seems a little much), so you have a reason to infuse before trying to win.
Taylor
Site Admin

Postby sfericz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:22 pm

As for the weirdfellows, shouldn't they just balance the creatures that spawn back even? But I really like this idea and it would put more of the take over moood in the game. Just like you said you can tell the Beelzebros are taking over if all demons are spawning.
sfericz
Pledge

Postby Salen » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:26 pm

Rickton wrote:Another idea I had was if you're fighting on a tile infused to your society you get a bonus (and possibly enemy societies would have penalties, but that seems a little much), so you have a reason to infuse before trying to win.

OH YEAH!!!! 8-)
Salen
Werehippie

Return to Implemented