Turn Limits

Suggestions that have made it into the game.

Turn Limits

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:15 am

One of the things that the last round brought to the forefront is that there really needs to be some sort of limit on rune gathering, if on nothing else, to level the playing field so that the game isn't dominated by people who have lots of time to play.
I've got three main ideas:

1) A basic "turn limit," similar to the ones found in most other browser-based games. You'd get a certain number of turns every day/hour/whatever. In my opinion, I don't really think that moving should take away turns since you have to do so much of it, I'd probably put it as a limit on battles instead (sort of like how conditions only decrease after battles, not while walking around).

2) Decreased rune payouts the more battles you win. Lets you play as much as you want, but after a certain number of battles you start to gain less runes than normal, possibly even decreasing to 0.
The advantage to this is that it doesn't put limits on people doing the quests/getting stronger and so lets them get to the endgame as quickly as possible, making the endgame more interesting for everyone. I could also make it so the limit doesn't apply to PvP so that PvP becomes a more desirable option (though it doesn't seem like y'all need much encouragement to PvP! ;) )

3) A "stamina" system. Similar to the turn limit system is that you get a certain number of points, but rather than just cutting you off when you run out you just get "exhausted" and can't perform as well in battle. Sort of like the decreased rune payouts but it applies to everything
This has the advantage that it doesn't actually stop you from playing, and additionally different things could cost different amounts of stamina which could lead to increased strategy (maybe guns could actually finally get an advantage by costing less vs. melee weapons). Of course it could also just end up making things too complicated.

Anyway, long post I know. Those are just a few things I've thought of, I'm open to hearing others' suggestions if they have any, and discussion/opinions on those different ideas.
Taylor
Site Admin

Re: Turn Limits

Postby Salen » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:47 am

love number 3! number 1 is good too. you are number 6.....i am not a number , i am a free man! oh, sorry got carried away there
[*]Everything must burn[*]
Salen
Werehippie

Postby dician » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:09 pm

I'm a big fan of #3, especially because of how easy it is to make something give you stamina back (unless you're going for a hard limit or something.)
dician
Pledge

Postby crashnburn11 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:14 am

I like #2 best, because it would allow people whose time is focused towards specific days or times (eg weekends), to use that time to still get to the endgame quickly. #3 is really good too
crashnburn11
Werehippie

Postby julionics » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:41 pm

I like number 3 as it would allow more of a chance to use some items.
julionics
Werehippie

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:16 pm

You now have a vitality bar, which decreases a tiny bit as you move, a little more for guns, and even more than that for melee weapons (and dual-wielding = double vitality drain).
It adds 100% to your vitality once every 24 hours, and there's currently no upper limit on that (if you don't play for 5 days, you'll come back with 500% vitality, don't play for 10 you'll have 1000%, etc.).
Play around with it a bit and see if it decreases too quickly or too slowly, but keep in mind I still need to add vitality gains from food/drink, which'll probably get done tomorrow.
Taylor
Site Admin

Postby crashnburn11 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:16 am

Does that mean some type of food/drink limits are going to be added too?
crashnburn11
Werehippie

Postby Taylor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:24 am

Yeah, there's a "fullness" stat that also resets every 24 hours. Just nothing adds to it yet.
Taylor
Site Admin

Postby Taylor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:38 pm

OK, food now gives you vitality and fullness.
Taylor
Site Admin

Postby Salen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:49 pm

dang it, beer gives you full. so now i can't get drunk before ebery fight. i'm too full. wish i could puke and keep drinking:) ooohhhh! how about like the restrooms we used to use, except each society does something different when you use them. beelzebro's could puke, young ones could ....well, ooze or something, inquisition could urinate nicely, and weirdfellows could just empty themselves discreatly:)
[*]Everything must burn[*]
Salen
Werehippie

Next

Return to Implemented