Hiatus Development Log

General chat and banter about Pleasantville by Night

Hiatus Development Log

Postby Taylor » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:42 pm

I figured I should probably post something about what I'm doing so it doesn't seem like I've just completely abandoned the game. Although the official reason I've put the game on hiatus is to get it Facebookified, I'm also going to be taking the opportunity to work on a few issues that have been hanging around, and putting in various improvements I've been putting off as well.

Most recently, I've changed the way creature types work so that creatures can have multiple types. It won't really do much groundbreaking from a gameplay standpoint, but it does make some spells and items a bit more consistent. For example, Calm the Wild Beasts, which only affects animals, used to not work on zombie or demon animals, but now it does. I've also made the creature's type viewable in the battle description. Hopefully that'll help make things more clear, in terms of whether or not it's something your society will want you to kill.
Screen shot 2013-06-18 at 3.34.29 PM.png
Demon Animal
Screen shot 2013-06-18 at 3.34.29 PM.png (20.57 KiB) Viewed 4119 times

As a side effect of these changes, vampires now have names like humans do, although their creature type is a bit redundant:
Screen shot 2013-06-18 at 3.34.21 PM.png
Undead Vampire
Screen shot 2013-06-18 at 3.34.21 PM.png (36.45 KiB) Viewed 4119 times

I've also got a lot of content ideas...new areas, creatures, missions, and even societies. Unfortunately I probably won't be putting all those in, at least right away, because if I was to wait until I ran out of ideas I'd never put the game back up. At least some new stuff will be making it in, though. I want to make the wait at least SOMEWHAT worth your while.
griever.png
I be on my suit and tie shit
griever.png (6.73 KiB) Viewed 4119 times

With regards to Facebook, I've got it so that you can log in automatically if a Facebook account is connected to your PBN account. Of course, the problem is, there's currently no way to connect the accounts without putting it in by hand, but the hard part's over. Of course, Facebook connectivity will be totally optional for those who don't want to use it, and I'll put in settings so you can limit how much interaction there is between FB and PBN, if you don't want it cluttering your news feed or whatever.
Taylor
Site Admin

Re: Hiatus Development Log

Postby Salen » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:12 pm

so, now is this accessible to all the millions of drones on facebook? will it pop up on the side like other games? just some questions that have been floating around in my head :geek:
[*]Everything must burn[*]
Salen
Werehippie

Postby Taylor » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:06 am

Not yet, but that's the plan. Of course, I don't anticipate it'll have millions of players (and I hope it doesn't...not only would that crash the server it's on, the game wouldn't work well with that many people), most people playing Facebook games are looking for more casual ones.
Taylor
Site Admin

Postby Salen » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:34 pm

yeah but you may still have a large influx of wanna try then stop.....would that still flood it enough to hurt it? and with the FB thing you can have alot more donations hopefully:)
[*]Everything must burn[*]
Salen
Werehippie

Postby Taylor » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:35 pm

So, I haven't really been posting on this as much as I'd planned. But I have been doing work.
I've put in a lot of interface changes, some just for show, some more useful (like the new equipment tab, and more noticeable loading icons). Most of those are currently on the live game now.
I've also made the vampire quest an option for all societies, and given the Inquisition a new last quest, featuring a brand-new area.
I've also put in a quest involving the Witherstone mansion for the Weirdfellows, and have finished writing the mansion quest for the Inquisition and Cthulhooligans.
There's also a new use for PBN cards, but I'll let you find that on your own, once it goes up.

Finally, I've been doing images for the mazes. I still have a few more to do, but here are some examples:
maze farm.png
maze farm.png (55.39 KiB) Viewed 4083 times

maze crypts.png
maze crypts.png (33.54 KiB) Viewed 4083 times
Taylor
Site Admin

Return to Central Square