server times

Having trouble figuring out how things work, stuck on a certain quest, or just keep getting beaten up by vampire nerds? Ask for help here.
Imporant: This is not the forum for bug reports, please use the bug report forums below.

server times

Postby Spang11 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:46 pm

Just a quick (slightly daft) question: in The Gun Nuttery shop they say they can't sell actual guns after 8pm. As yet I've not seen them on sale, although I don't go there often, and it just struck me that the game is "Pleasantville By Night". So is it:
a)They do actually sell guns during certain game-time hours, but we don't see the game-time shown anywhere (though there is a time shown here on the forums).
b)It's always nighttime in the game so they never sell guns (despite the name, this possibility only just occurred to me).

If b then I suppose it might be something to add to the Help page (or maybe I'm the only person to have overlooked that). If OTOH it's (a) then maybe we should see the game-time shown somewhere :D It's a big world! :)
I suppose there could be an option c, there is a game time but it's STILL always night-time, although that'd look a bit unusual.
Spang11
Pledge

Re: server times

Postby Taylor » Thu May 17, 2012 10:18 pm

B. I'll add a Help entry about it.
Taylor
Site Admin

Round timer (was Re: server times)

Postby Spang11 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Actually here's another addition to this earlier question (which you had answered nice and clearly :D )...

What time of day does the round end? Is it based on server time? (GMT like the forums?) Or does it start counting the minute the relevant team hits 70%? I spent much of yesterday thinking "Well I'd best get what I can out of the last couple hours of the round, it's about to end"- but it's still on 6 days currently. For that matter, does the round end once the displayed counter reaches 7 days, or after 7 days? I'm supposing the former.

Obviously this wouldn't make much difference for most of the game, but for the final day yeah it can make a difference in terms of how much effort people know it's worth exerting etc, and could probably make a difference to strategy too.
Spang11
Pledge

Postby Taylor » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:55 pm

It was originally midnight GMT, but the current setup is kind of weird because I was originally under the impression the server host didn't allow you to use a certain type of script (cron jobs, if that means anything).
Right now it only runs if someone is online, then sets itself to run again 24 hours later, and because of this the time's gotten shifted. I think it'll happen at some point this afternoon.
That's something I'll be fixing for next round.

The round ends when it reaches seven days, though there's a bit of downtime before reset.
Taylor
Site Admin

Postby Spang11 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:38 pm

ah ok, yeah I grok Cron jobs (I use Linux and have my own website too). That sounds like it's a bit complicated ATM. I can't help noticing though it has now reached 7 days and nothing seems to have happened (wot no archangel? :D )
Spang11
Pledge

Postby sfericz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:48 pm

How long is the downtime usually for? And by downtime, I take it as the server will be offline? Can't wait to start the next round, I've been saving my vitality up just incase the small chance it carriers over next round. :roll:
sfericz
Pledge

Postby Taylor » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:54 pm

Nah, server will stay up, there probably just won't be much going on besides maybe people messing around.
Taylor
Site Admin

Postby sfericz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Hey thats perfect, I wanted to be able to test some stuff out. Let us know if you need any help.
sfericz
Pledge

Return to Help and Support