attack percentage

Have an idea that you think would improve the game? Post it here!

attack percentage

Postby Salen » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:35 pm

ok i'm not really familliar with how code works at all, for god sake i can barely figure out "paint". that being said up front, don't let your head explode with this thought. ok so i have a weaponry level of 67...yet i still miss more often than i hit in any given fight. don't get me wrong i can walk through the sewer at this point and clear most fights with a couple of scratches. two alligators at a time, with no one helping me. not bad. but for some reason even at this level i swing and miss ALOT!, even in PVP....i'll have 20+ on all of my opponents stats, and be getting my arse whomped! admittedly this is because they are using 'smite' and i'm evil...but i can't hit them and when i do it's for a paltry amount, that usually gets blocked. yet 'smite' always gets through even with my 'sheild of superiority' and a 'mirror necklace'. so after all that rambling you're looking for my point i guess; so my point is that i know that the weaponry level and magic level counts but how much is it coded for..i mean does it go up significantly? just scares me that i can take 72 points from smite and still be allright, but do 13 points to my enemy and see us at the same bar level...should be the other way around you would think (not that we'd be at the same bar health but the amount of damage) i've just been trying to figure it out and can't come up with anything cause i just don't know how it all works. the other game you could pretty much figure out if their stats were higher than you were getting your butt handed to you (what it's pyro! run!!!!!) but here i seem to lose if i'm higher (three times now) just wanted to see if i'm the only one out there thinking about this stuff. now that i've made your head hurt i'll end this babbling mess 8-)
[*]Everything must burn[*]
Salen
Werehippie

Re: attack percentage

Postby Taylor » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Alright, couple of issues, I'll address them individually.

Smite:
- I wasn't aware that shield of superiority and mirror necklace didn't block spells. I'm pretty sure I intended them to. I'll take a look at it.
- That aside, smite is probably pretty overpowered; its damage scales to your Inquisition favor. That at least will have to go, if nothing else.
- Really, I'm pretty sure that spell balance is really out of whack in general, especially when it comes to PvP. The Beelzebros have a lot more utility spells than the others, but that only helps when you're fighting NPCs. The other societies, on the other hand, are better at dishing out massive amounts of damage, which is good against both NPCs and players.

Weaponry and hitting/missing:
- Hit chance is decreased by the enemy's dodge chance, so if you're fighting enemies of exactly equal level, it's intended that you'll hit half the time. If you're hitting a lot less than that then maybe there's a problem somewhere. Could you try fighting some really low level enemies and see if you still have trouble hitting them?
- Weaponry doesn't increase weapon damage, but 13 is still really low. I'm assuming you're using a good weapon that does a lot of damage against NPCs. It's probably their armor, which honestly I wouldn't have a problem with if they weren't capable of doing five times the amount of damage back to you.

Honestly, I'm kind of unhappy with the stat/skill system we have now. There's a lot of overlap between stats and skills and what each does, some are way more important than others, and it's not very intuitive.
I agree, it doesn't make sense at all that you can be 20 levels higher than someone and they can kick your ass multiple times without breaking a sweat. Spells and items and strategy should be important, but they shouldn't be so important that stats are meaningless.
I want to change it, I just haven't figured out what I want to change it to.
Taylor
Site Admin

Postby Salen » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:04 pm

the low level enemies are no prob, since i hit once and they're dead. so far it's just park and higher that i miss alot. and i've taken pains to not be drunk as well so the miss chance there is gone. for the damage i was using 'rain of gold' which i think runs off of favor and my favor for the fight was 1700. after the shield, and the divine shield it did like 13 points, while my opponents favor was 900 and i got whomped by 72 points. i actually never hit with my rusty sword so i can't tell you how much i did, and my bone was doing like 9 points after like 9 got blocked. and my strength was 50 base. my magic stat was 20 his 11.

as for the skills, i think they're cool (don't know what they do but loved the leveling up process) and by the way thanks for listening:) you rock! take your time figuring things out ill just keep having fun with this awesome little world

edit, seems even in the university i can whiff:)

You swing Masamune at the beelzebro pledge!
You are a bit rusty with your sword skills, however, seeing as you missed.
You swing a bone at the beelzebro pledge.
You commit a major boner, hitting yourself and taking 18 bludgeoning damage.
The beelzebro pledge swings drunkly at you with a bottle.
You sidestep the drunken swing.
The evangelist denounces the beelzebro pledge as a drug user.
He takes 9 sonic damage from the verbal assault.

oh and the bone's name doesn't show up....just saw this hehehe. i had it named but just still says bone (not a big deal just found it funny that i found something trying to fix something...story of mah life) the Masamune is a Rusty sword
Salen
Werehippie

Postby Taylor » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:07 pm

I ran the math by hand, apparently you'd have around an 89% chance to hit a pledge. You should also have about a 72% to hit a werehippie, and other park enemies would be around the same or better. Are you missing a lot more than that? (The fumble doesn't really count as a miss, there's a 1% base chance to fumble no matter what your skills/attributes are).
Taylor
Site Admin

Postby Salen » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:27 am

i don't know...seems like it but with averages sometimes you just don't know. in the sewer i miss but i forgot i'm wielding two weapons so that might give me a miss chance greater than one weapon (i think thats what you had said, and two guns were damage reduction or something) i just know that i can never hit in pvp, and their dodge usually isn't too high
Salen
Werehippie

Postby Taylor » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:39 am

Dual-wielding guns is a lower hit chance, dual-wielding melee isn't.
Taylor
Site Admin

Postby Salen » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:43 pm

oops!,got it backwards again:) ok so in fighting this am i noticed that i'll miss like four out of six times....and always drop it on my foot like once. thats just with my main weapon. i'm hitting more with my secondary weapon, but even in the graveyard i missed four times in a row against a slayer with my sword. in the sewer i would miss, drop it on my foot, miss, drop it again, then miss. think the spider laughed himself to death at my ineptitude LOL!!! on the other hand the only damage i took was from myself :lol:
Salen
Werehippie

Return to Suggestions